LOKI, WHY U NO LIVE UP TO REPUTATION?
Page 1 of Loki VS Mad Am!
<-Previous || Next
(Mad Am will finally appear next page XD)
Loki profile: [link]
Mad Am profile: [link]
Boy am I glad to be back to doing comics!
The introduction to many things! To this awesome comic, to Loki, to Super Fantabulous New NPC Cashier-kun [link]
and to 5P PLASTIC BAGS! (BTW that happened in october for us brits, I dunno if other folk still get em for free)
Oh and I caved in to public pressure! XD We'd call this place a sweet shop or a pick 'n mix shop (if its a shop where you can choose individual sweets/candy and mix em up, distinct from a place that just has all the mainstream stuff in wrappers sitting on the shelves.) But I figured noone would understand that so I just went with 'candy store'. I hope everyone gets that 5p is a denomination of money too
Darn the world not being 100% british XD
The obligatory 'I'm not happy with this' whine: AAARGH THE TONES. They work well on stuff that's just mostly block colours like the monsterous kids swooshy cool panel, but on the bottom panel I couldn't put them ANYWHERE without covering up detail. Here's a non-toned version of the chracters if anyone cares: [link]
Also it takes aaaaages to get right cos you gotta make em not too dark and still stand out enough from each other and you've gotta work out what grey best symbolises red... T^^^T
Would you guys mind if I DON'T use shading tones on later pages? Except for big dramatic panels maybe, to make it stand out.. just not for everything is what I mean
And now moving onto that which ye have all anticipated...
* The three kiddies of doom in the top panel are (from left to right) Hel the death goddess, Fenris the sky-devouring wolf and Jormangundr the super snake that can circle the whole world. This panel is meant to be an over stylized version to make em look as ominous as the narration makes em out to be, if they ever show up in Loki's comics as NPCs you'll find they're much cuter in person. Fenris for example: [link]
* Fonts! Ominous narration is in Arcanum, but I can't remember what the candy store font is. Cashier-kun speaks in Screwball and Loki uses Russell Write TT as decided by popular vote here: [link]
* Was originally planning to start the round with Loki falling out of the sky on top of Mad Am, complaining that the bad atmosphere in the air was keeping him from having a nap. (thus invoking the event for this month) However after talking with laLang I think it'll work better if Am actually finds HIM, cos she's an oracle who loves apocolyptic stuff and all. And the plot has totally changed since then- for example now it would be out of character for him to be just lying around sleeping on christmas eve. (Or as he calls it 'modern europe festive winter holiday of gifts' XD) Only reason he isn't off huggling his wife and son right now is cos he popped to the shop for some chocolate. ("The guidebook says in order to celebrate this right I must nom sugary things!! I LOVE THIS HOLIDAY") Also from an author standpoint I'm gonna have to do contrived stuff to keep his family from showing up whenever he has to battle cos there's no way I could keep them from joining in. And they're a thousand times stronger than Loki
"Oh darling, protect me~" *hanging off of wife's arm all lovey dovey*
Seriously, she can pick him up with one hand.
THE BOTTOM PANEL IS A TREASURE TROVE OF TRIVIA:
*Candies, row 1 (the ones at the top you can't see the labels of) left to right: Wine Gums, Jawbreakers, Fried Eggs, Chocolate Basketballs.
(Just for reference, they were meant to be chocolate footballs but my hand drew basketballs for some reason.. XD)
Candies, row 2: Coconut Mushrooms, Gummi Worms, Wormy Gums, Allsorts, Atomic Fire.
(Allsorts are like a mix of licorice in different shapes. Atomic Fire is little super hot chewing gums in a candy shell. Childhood is made by laughing at the one guy who crunches his too hard and blasts out his tongue XD)
Candies, row 3: Bon Bons, Cola Bottles, Choco Skulls, Speckled Eggs, Sherbet Bananas, Lips.
(Lips are another part of childhood! A humorous substitute for your own lips! And no other purpose cos they don't even taste all that good XD)
* Counter stuff!
Giant lollipops (on sale), Mini Cashier (a plushie he got from an employee as a present. He wants to get it animated someday to have a lil clone buddy of his own :3), the tip jar, motivational calander ("December 24Th: Appreciate Pie Today!") that just exists to tell you it's christmas eve during this comic, till and credit card reader, and then Loki's purchase . (Loki why u need bag for one Twix?!)
* Outer counter products: these are all just squiggly labelled cos I didn't want to put any brand names on the art. But then I totally forgot when I drew the Twix! So I'll rectify it by telling you what everything is.
Left side: empty except for a stray Skittle. He needs to restock!
Front: Galaxy bar (on a buy one get one free offer) and a Chupa Chups lolly that's not meant to be there, Smarties tubes, packs of Skittles, Mars bars, Curly Wurlys and Creme Eggs at the end.
* Cashier would like to inform you: The barrel at the side is the Super Lucky Dip. It's where all the out of date candy goes and you can grab a scoop of all kinds of things for a very low price. That candy cane there is actually a special orange and green one from halloween that got left over.
* And finally, the signs!
"Public Service Announcement: CANDY IS GOOD"
"Please leave a tip when you steal"
"And this is the third sign"
(half covered by loki) "Loki stands here"
Egad, how did the sign know?! XD
Loki & Cashier belong to Bunni89
all branded sweets belong to their respective owners
Norse myth itself belongs to whoever told the first story
Mad Am belongs to LaLang but she's appearing on the next page :3